HOW TO FIX YOUR WATER-DAMAGED PHONE IN 8 STEPS
No matter how smart your phone is, it doesn’t know how to swim. With all the outdoor water activities that go on during the summer, keeping your phone above water can be a tough task. According to Asurion data, more claims are filed for device water damage between June and August than any other part of the year.
So what is the best way to protect your phone from water damage before you head off to the beach or pool? Asurion Experts recommend investing in a floating waterproof phone pouch, like those made by MPOW or JOTO. It’s also a great idea to take steps to prevent your phone from overheating, as that can cause damage to your device as well. But in case your phone does take the plunge, here are important tips from our experts that you’ll need to know.
Steps to try to fix a water-damaged smartphone
Here’s how to get water out of your phone:
- If your phone takes a spill, remove it from the liquid immediately. The longer it stays there, the more liquid will seep into the crack around your screen or into various inlets.
- Turn the phone off and leave it off.
- Remove the protective case.
- If possible, open the back and remove the battery, SIM card, and microSD card.
- Use a cloth or paper towel to dab your phone dry. Do not rub the phone, as doing so could accidentally push liquid into the phone’s more sensitive parts. If the phone was completely submerged, you might try gently vacuuming around the phone’s cracks and openings to suck more water out.
- Resist the urge to bake your phone in the sun. Keep it in a cool, dry place.
- The old rice trick isn’t very reliable, but silica gel packets—like the ones that often come with new products such as a pair of shoes—have proven to be much more effective. Fill a plastic zip-top bag with silica gel and bury the phone in the bag. Leave your phone in the bag for at least 24-48 hours.
- After you’ve allowed your phone to fully dry, switch it on. If it doesn’t turn on right away, try charging it to see if that makes a difference.
If your phone turns back on, great! Still, keep an eye on it over the next week or so, as sometimes certain features won’t work the way they used to.
If you’ve tried these steps and still need a little help, we’re right around the corner. Schedule a repair at www.eringpro.co
m by Tech Repair & Solutions™ store and our certified experts can get your device back up and running as soon as the same day.